Sunday 8 February 2009

end of the weekend...don't you hate Sunday nights?!!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Someone at work lent this to me to see what I thought of it. Okay, it's a children's book, but unusual as it has a huge number of illustrations and little text. It looks beautiful - the pencil illustrations are gorgeous and the whole feel of 1920's Paris emanates from the page. It did gro on me - at first the story left me a bit cold, but as it progressed it did suck me in and i was sold by the end. Not sure how many children I work with would be absorbed by it though...a great starting point for work in school, but possibly a new children's classic that is bought by adults for children, rather than what they'd choose themselves.

It had to be you by Sarah Webb
More Irish chic-lit! Easy read - bit of fun, will try more from the same author. Nuff said?!

Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden by MC Beaton
I do sometimes get cross with Agatha! She's lost her hair so goes to some godforsaken coastal town in winter to avoid James until it grows back again. She comes across the usual murders...get proposed to and then ends up having a night with Charles! I still don't understand the point of Charles - he a charmless, irritating, tight wad and Agatha deserves much better! I know there's a limit to how many murders you can have in one small village, but I do miss Carsley in the books set away from the Cotswolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment